Monday, March 9, 2009

Why Brass Players Struggle With Range

Being one of the many brass players who was confused, frustrated, and just simply lost when it came to real range and high note efficiency, I decided to not only fix my problems but bust the myths behind equipment, tactics, as well as technique.

I spent the majority of my playing life on larger mouthpieces (5c, 3c, etc.). I was able to work my range up enough to "touch" the coveted Double C, but never enough to own it. Once every so often I could eek it out... but had no power, control, or guarantee of "hitting" one if called to do so. When I toured with Maynard, I had multiple opportunities to talk with Boss about this very subject. His solution was air usage, but when there was a mass confusion with chops, equipment, and everything else on the dark quest was a mystery, that just didn't make sense to me.

Do you feel the same way? Are you so confused by all the information out there that nothing is making sense (no matter how logical it may sound) that it's just not allowing progress? That's where my book comes in. I try to relay to the reader my confusion, misunderstanding, and then the discovery of what really made things improve. Pretty simple answers - and helped me see where Maynard was coming from.

Visit www.brassplayersolution.com

No comments:

Post a Comment